Project activity

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Is this project active/alive?

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:31 AM
hfrmobile wrote:

Is this project active/alive?

Hey I am really sorry for being so late in reply. Actually I haven't enabled the alerts for this project.

Well, YES this project is still active/live. I've seen your bug submission will look into it and get back to you. 

If you want to contribute for this project I can add you as a project member.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Thank you for your reply!

The question (for me) is which benefits will developers get when using this Numeric keyboard instead of the standard one.

The standard numeric keyboard has, lets call it, globalization issue. When I set the InputScope of a TextBox control to "Number" everything looks fine in the beginning but when I did a closer look the following (minor) issue raised up when I like the user to enable to enter a double value: For English (US) regional settings everything was fine/perfect. But when using German (Austria) regional settings (I am from Austria and developing an application which "only" makes sense when you're located in Austria for the moment) I discovered the following issue:

Screen-shot on my SkyDrive: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=9015c1e219cdfada&resid=9015C1E219CDFADA!3592&parid=9015C1E219CDFADA!3383&authkey=!ALbigMp9cHVU1Ow

For example the user needs to enter a double value "12.34":

• English (US): 12.34
  • German (AT): 12,34

We are used to write floating values using a ",". But the standard keyboard offers, by default a "." for comma. Of course the user can use the "." and hold it and so the user can choose to type a ".", "," or "-". Since my app does not need negative numbers and I am afraid that some users will not know about the "tab and hold" feature available for the keyboard I've chosen doing the following "workaround":

Solution/workaround: http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/98061/584545.aspx

Would be nice to offer a Numeric keyboard offering "," button? Correct me if I am wrong!

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Hi, 

Well, I duly understand  your problem, but the think is that when you have a very specific need like your case. You always have a choice to build a custom thing. 

I know it's bit tedious but yeah that's the only go at this moment.

I was in a situation like you before where I don't wanted to have any "." or "#" or "*". So, I came up with my own custom keyboard which has only the things which I required. 

Well, this sample provides you a brief about how to layout a custom keyboard to blend it with original one.

Hope, this info would help you to build your own.

Thanks and Regards
Nishant Rana